I’ve really been working on pencil drawings these days. Worked with conte crayon the last few days then turned to 2B graphite blocks. I really like the graphite blocks alot better than the conte crayon. I do like the high contrast with the conte, but just seems harder to get light tones. I like the wider variation of tones that I get with the graphite blocks.
I kinda liked these until I scanned them. Seems like you can see NEW stuff about your artwork when looking at it on a computer monitor.
I painted the watercolor on the left over 20 years ago. The middle is just the gray scale of the painting. I have always felt that the contrast in the watercolor wasn’t good enough. I printed the gray scale and then shaded over it in pencil. If I end up liking this, I may even try to print the color and somehow repaint over it to fix those contrast issues. IDK. The scan of the new version (last one) didn’t seem to look quite the same as the real version. OR maybe you just see things differently on the computer. Anyway, it was an interesting thing to do.
So this is he first time that I have used conte crayon since I was in college.
Thoughts : hmm
* Feels gritty
* cleaner than charcoal … Maybe
* can get my values in quickly as apposed to pencil
* smudges easily
* love the intense black
* hard to get detail. Tried using a prisma color black pencil. Could work for me.
* Should have worked my background out first. Hard to now within getting it really messy.
* Do NOT like smoothing with a paper stump. The truck shadow area.
Conclusion : I may try this again. Hmm
I NEVER draw this small ever. The eyes are barely bigger than the tip of my pencil. I can’t really see the detail clearly so this is not my best and it’s hard to get the tip of the pencil to get to those really small areas.
But, this is just me working through missing my daddy who died August 3, twenty two years ago. My severely disabled brother died also on August 3. He died last year within 30 minutes of the time that my daddy died. Nope. Not my best artwork but that really wasn’t my goal here.
I used an ebony pencil. I love using these to draw with. I let the weight of the pencil shade most of it. I lay it down as flat to the paper as I can so that the entire width of the pencil is used. Mostly, I use a circular motion so that I don’t have streaks or lines. I really don’t use erasers of any kind. IF there is something that is really bad, I will lift with a kneaded eraser. The main thing to remember is to have patience. You just don’t need to be in a hurry when laying in the values. Turn the radio on to something peaceful and just relax. 🙂
I am happy with the color. Saturation level needs to be better. It could work.
Started this last week. Just playing around with wood textures in watercolor. I am happy with it.
I am very proud of myself. I spent a huge amount of time this morning working on the background for my twitter. I had coffee made with a bacon egg cheese biscuit and forgot to eat it. haha. YEP, I do that a lot. I am working on making my social media accounts cohesive. Check out my website.
Well. I worked on this for an hour at this little group of ladies who are painting. Not bad for an hour of painting. Got base coats of color down and starting to build tones. I usually tape my paper to a board.
This is a sketchbook. The paper needs to dry before I can do more. I have a blow dryer but I am supposed to meet my daughter for lunch in a bit. The ladies here have stopped for lunch and it smells so good that I am leaving early to go find my daughter. Haha.
Well, I have finished a few paintings so now I am focusing on my new one. I have a lot in my head so today I am just going to stop and play with painting textures.
I had taken a watercolor workshop a few months ago, so today I am going to work on some techniques from that class. I have a watercolor sketchbook and photos of different woodgrains. So … Lets see how this is gonna go.
So, I have not liked this when I started working on it. First and most importantly, I used the wrong color in her cheeks and it was a staining color and wouldn’t lift. So her face looked muddy. Secondly, was the new technique of putting in darkest first. Just wasn’t working with he face … At all. Laying int the darks made the paints thick. So when coming back to add light tones just caused the darks to lift up creating even more splotches.
So, I was trying to work on it today and saw more and more problems with it … So just ended it. On to something new.